Google
 

Friday, December 26, 2008

What to do with a load of tomatoes, Part 2: Fresh tomato soup

I wrote this post a couple months ago but just realized I never posted it. If you took my advice and froze some tomatoes, you can use those to make this soup, which should warm you up nicely on these cold winter days. Here's the original post:

Ok, so you've made spaghetti sauce by the vat, and you're still overrun with tomatoes? Well, go get your stockpot, because today we're making soup! I found a great recipe for tomato soup: It's super-easy, very tasty, and gluten-free. If you substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth, it would even be vegan. I'm not going to post the actual recipe here, because it's on the Boston Globe site, and I try not to violate copyright because I prefer not to be sued. So, cruise over to http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/food/articles/2008/08/06/fresh_tomato_soup/ and check it out. The best part? You don't even have to peel the tomatoes! Just throw everything in a big pot, then process it through a food mill when you're done. It's a great way to use up late-season tomatoes that often have soft spots or blemishes. Just cut away the icky part and throw the rest in the pot.

No comments: