Google
 

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Things I Love About Spring -- A Photo Essay

This weekend, we finally had a sunny, warm day up here in Seattle, and all of a sudden, THINGS ARE HAPPENING! Buds are budding! Blooms are blooming! Rhododendrons are rhododendroning! I filled four buckets up with dandelions and only used the f-word three times while I was pulling them all out! You see, folks? Miracles CAN happen!

Also, in my first official "Growing Challenge" update, I finally got my mesclun salad mix into the ground this weekend as well. I'm not sure if the spot I chose for it will be too sunny or not sunny enough, but I guess I'll find out!

The main reason for this post, however, is that I wanted to share with you a few of my favorite things about spring in the Pacific Northwest. After you check out my list -- with photos taken using our fancy new camera, yay! -- be sure to share your OWN list of favorite spring things in the comments! (As you can probably tell from these photos, by the way, the clouds have rolled back in here in Seattle today. Darn!)

Daffodils in the front yard












Flowering quince beginning to flower!


Blueberry buds -- so exciting! (We just planted blueberries last year, so I was really excited to see them looking really good already!)


The red rhododendron just bloomed yesterday -- so pretty!



Ooh, and one of my all-time favorite things to see in my yard: the ferns before they've unfurled! So alien looking and so totally cool!



Pink dogwood buds -- hoping we get lots of blooms this year, as we've had a couple of years now where it hasn't really bloomed normally (dogwood post coming soon!).


And, of course, the most entertaining thing in the yard every spring: Spouses With Power Tools!

2 comments:

Tina said...

Those ferns are soooo cool looking!
Lucky you - about the spouse with power tools - mine is no longer allowed such things without close supervision. lol.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pics, Meg! What a cool camera that must be! Jim with the power tool made me laugh!